Friday 25 December 2015 / No comments

Passing Judgement

Despite the fact that this is actually my first post on my brand new blog, I’m going to do one of those ‘Top 5 x of 2015’ posts, because what’s a better way to start a blog than to pass judgement over everything you’ve read, watched or listened to this year?

There’s no better way, I say. Besides, it’s always refreshing to recap a year and see just how much you didn’t achieve. And I certainly didn't achieve my 2015 NYE goal of starting a reviewing blog this year — does starting it on the 26th of December count?


So without further ado (or is that adieu?1), all my judgements are listed below.

Top 5 Books (that I read in 2015)
5. Rivers of London
4. Clancy of the Undertow
3. Resurrection Bay
2. House of Grief
1. A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet

Top 5 Movies (that I saw in 2015)
5. Jenny's Wedding
4. The Maze Runner: Scorch Trials
3. Gone Girl
2. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
1. Ex Machina

Top 5 TV shows (that I watched in 2015)
5. Battlestar Galactic
4. Jane the Virgin
3. Sense8
2. Brooklyn Nine Nine
1. The 100

Top 5 Podcasts & Albums (that I listened to in 2015)
5. The Wheeler Centre
4. Criminal
3. Limetown
2. 25 by Adele
1. Serial

Also I discovered a fantastic pen. If you know where I can buy EXP medium blue pens, hit me up.

Now that you know what I liked in 2015, here’s a bit about me.

My name is Jessica, and I’m a part-time student, part-time editor and part-time sleeper. I cook a lot, and have a worrying obsession with Antarctica.

I’m one of the production managers of my university’s student magazine, so I get to walk around pretending to be busy some times2. I just finished my undergraduate degree, and in 2016 I’ll be doing my honours year in literature.

2015 was a good year for me. I published 5 magazines and put out one journal that launched through Melbourne Writers Festival. I was published in Voiceworks, and landed two fantastic jobs. I bought more than 20 books3 and got two subscriptions to literary magazines. I learnt a lot of things the hard way, but I learnt what I’m capable of. But mostly I learnt that a good book is the way to my heart.

So this is my blog. I’m planning on reviewing stuff here: books, movies, TV shows, music, and punctuation marks. That said, although I’m fantastic at editing other people’s work, I’m horrible at my own. This is also a lesson for me on how to self-edit.


Now I suppose you’re wondering why I’m telling you this. I’m telling you this so that you can hold me accountable to make me post about the above-mentioned texts. So do it; make me accountable.



Notes:
1 My understanding is that it's actually 'ado', and not 'adieu'. It is an eggcorn. More information about it can be found here, because links are better than having to google, and I want to keep my readers comfortable.
2 I am actually busy though. It's not all an act.
3 I allowed myself to buy one every fortnight, and if you're average at maths, you would know that one a fortnight is equal to 26 books per year. I have no response for you.
Related Posts

No comments :

Post a Comment

Follow @Instagram